Tuesday, March 1, 2016


Several years ago I entered a contest to write a six-word memoir. This is what I wrote. My memoir was selected to be printed on the caps of Honesttea's drinks. Wild Betty had Alzheimers, as did her mother. I received several caps from the company, and as time passed I forgot about the cap.

I kept writing and met the Myers family in Roanoke, VA about a 3-hour drive from me. While we have never met in person, we spoke often on the telephone and I feel a deep connection with their family. I had been assigned to tell their story — the loss of their son in a tragic automobile accident. Both of their sons had been in the accident, and doctors expected their younger son to pass within hours after arriving at the hospital, but he didn't. He survived. Now, two years later, he is back in school and doing well. We hadn't spoken in almost a year, but today I received an email from Norma , Steven's mother. She had attached the photo above and said, "Look at Steven's tea lid!  Emoji   We don't believe in coincidences!"

She didn't know about my mother's passing, but the fact that this lid found its way into their family and back to me was like a sign from God to me. "I remember." This whole trip is about my remembering, and sharing. 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment