Friday, March 4, 2016

The Rarity of Risk

Apparently it is rare to be a solo sailor. Something, I am reading now, about how few people are truly able to be self-reliant and independent and alone for hours, days and weeks at a time. That is pretty much my life now. I have no friends I can count on to be there for me in a physical sense. Not really. There are a few who want to be, who might be there if they lived closer. But on a day-to-day basis I deal with everything myself - from a broken car, to having to move items from my apt. to my storage unit. I do it all alone. Some days I hate it, but I've learned that I'm the only one I can truly count on. I may cry, rage, vent, hate and scream, but I do it all by myself. I always have. I enjoy my own company. There are weeks where I don't venture out for days at a time. I am content in small spaces. I am happy to read, to sleep, to dream, to write, to just be. So I think this solo sailing thing will be good. Apparently I have the hardest part - the emotional strain of being alone and dependent only on oneself, down pat.

No comments:

Post a Comment