Friday, March 18, 2016

NOW It's Real

All the materials for my sailing class came today. I have several months to study it all. At first I was excited - you know, get a package in the mail, open it, all shiny new books and stuff...then I started looking at all I have to learn and panic set in. I felt stupid, incompetent and totally unable to process most of it because it all sounds a lot like MATH. There are angles and words, and terms and degrees of wind blowing, and rules - lots of rules. OMG there's a lot to learn. Buoys, and a whole new language. Funny how I'm not freaked out by the "How to Repair a Diesel Engine" repair book I just bought - all 1000 pages. But the thought of navigation, plotting a course, all the mental stuff...just slays me. The form I have to sign acknowledging I could die doing this isn't a biggie. But I am absolutely baffled about finding the best rain gear. God, I hope it doesn't rain. 

Sometimes it's good to be overwhelmed I guess. It makes you take a step back and reassess what you're doing. I'm committed to doing this, but dang, there's so much to learn in such a short amount of time. Besides sailing, navigation, docking, engine repair and cooking on a boat, there's film editing, controls on my new camera(s), a new professional recorder. Just a lot to become competent at before I hit the water. 



No comments:

Post a Comment