Sunday, March 6, 2016

Doing Due Diligence


I just love this photo, so expect to see it several times on this blog over the next few months. I like it because it's dark and stormy and you can't really see the end of the dock. There's a hint of discomfort, danger, and a sense there's safety at the dock. As I'm doing my due diligence and learning as much as I can about what I need to know, expect and prepare for I'm surprised at all the things I hadn't considered, and hadn't thought about. There is, for example, the incidence of hallucinations of people who solo sail. It's mostly ocean going trips, but apparently it can happen on any trip. There's the question of what to eat, cook and whether to spend money on marina food, or not. From learning about diesel engine maintenance and repair to navigation, there's a lot to learn before I set off on this journey. I've got classes lined up, but I'm also reading, watching a lot of videos and doing what I do best - researching every potential disaster. I've ordered brochures, books and maps. I've called sailing schools and talked with instructors. I've signed up in chat rooms and have lurked, reading all the questions and posts by other newbies. And I feel pretty good. I have a lot of the skills I already need. But that doesn't mean I'm taking it lightly. There's a lot of stuff that can happen that wouldn't be a big deal for a couple or a family. But for a solo sailor? There's a lot more risk. Still, it's exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment