Saturday, February 20, 2016

I CAN Do This

I spent hours last night watching YouTube videos of old people sailing ships by themselves. I thought it might be inspiring. It was terrifying. All of the videos I watched were mostly of men in their 70s who seriously looked like they should be on walkers in nursing homes. Yet, there they were, dancing, farting, laughing and cooking themselves meals a dog wouldn't eat. And they were smiling and laughing through it all. Sailing, apparently, either kills you or it doesn't.

I emailed the sailing school and told them I was 60, and while not a fitness freak, I could walk unaided. Would that be a problem, age and all? They wrote back, "Age is not a problem. Keeping your balance is - and we tell everyone of any age that. Crossing Albermarle Sound might be a bit challenging alone."   I looked up sailing Albermarle Sound on Youtube and it looked like a classic, "74 ways to die on the water" compilation.

At this point any sane person would re-evaluate their decision, but fortunately I'm not sane. I'm both terrified and exhilarated. I'm convinced God had run out of common sense by the time he got to me. Well, common sense and boobs, and a knack for numbers. I've done okay for myself. Fortunately sailing doesn't require boobs. Common sense, judging from the Youtube videos I watched, is optional. Highly optional. The lack of a knack for numbers could prove deadly, or simply expensive. There's an app (several in fact), for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment