Friday, February 19, 2016

Blame it On Old Age

You don't a lot of chances to do things like learn to sail and then tackle the open water once you hit 60. Most of my friends would never think of getting in a kayak on a pond, let alone sailing alone for 400 miles. And that's kind of the point.

I'm not a thin, young, blonde that anyone is going to pay attention to because I bought a boat. I'm probably going to be rather invisible. I'm kind of dumpy, old, wrinkled and I sag a lot. Lots of women my age can identify with that. And they can also understand it when I say, if I don't do this it's like saying, my adventures are over. Nothing left but tour buses, 10% off Senior diners at 4 p.m. at Denny's or iHop and maybe a ripping good Square Dance Meetup group. Not for me. Someday maybe, but I want a last hurrah. Maybe one that turns into another 10 years on the water. I don't know. I just know I want to do this, and in releasing my mother, maybe release some of that fear that I can't do it.

Seriously. Age is scary. Your mind thinks you're 30, your body thinks you're your great-grandmother. It's not pretty. There's got to be more to life than sitting around discussing the best hemorrhoid cremes, your latest surgery or what your doctor said about your cholesterol levels at your last visit. I can't go around worrying about my skin being "crepey" or some man leaving me because I have crow's feet and laugh lines. Life is too short to worry about what other people think of me. I wasted too many years doing that. I may move slower and have to make accommodations, but I'm doing this.

Friends of mine, Pete and Betsy Wuebker, of PassingThru.com, sold everything, car, house, furniture and whatever, and took off a few years ago to become *homeless* and travel the world, write a travel blog, and house and dog sit along the way. They're running their online businesses and staying in some of the most beautiful places in the world! They've done well! They're my age, or thereabouts. And they inspired me to step out and take a risk. So I am.

Wild Betty was independent until the courts forced her into a nursing home. I had thought I'd be able to actually get mom on a boat 10 years ago, but her court appointed guardian, Sarah Malia, made sure that didn't happen. But she can't interfere with Betty's ashes...so better late than never.


No comments:

Post a Comment